The dress that it is

This is not the dress I’d intended to make. But it is, to state the obvious, the dress that I made.

I taped the pattern together. There was a skirt front. There was a skirt back. I cut out a skirt front. I cut out a skirt back.

Reading the instructions much later I learned that if making view C you were to cut two rectangles so-big by such-big.

I had cut out the skirt for view B.

Good thing this pattern included instructions in English, unlike Evol which I totally winged, guessing at the construction based on experience and pictures. Now that I can cross-reference French words like “interface” I realize Evol would have benefited from some. Google translate has a long way to go, folks.

View B it was, then.

GhHWgvRZ1nuAWWErzjzNR-A1-5bI-zVfH6bzjZ_qaxfF3LdTlk9Z_JNzrKKDoommAR7AAIvkv6AF6AkEM2da-UZG9hSxU_zug7i_O382GGoVTe6lo3uCQCfxqi-ck0Rw6x4Bhg7GxjDmKAH-OIjsV2VE2xQPY_8N1-jclxztFLMFGD4Vx8vjvd3TcHOXfMdgwMwJJlPgviv4LtigOfXC-pkFW9HEP

Pattern: Artesane by Atelier Scämmit, view B
Size: 38 (I think? Sorry, I do this all the time, I never remember to check)
Fabric: Moonstone Blue fabric by Atelier Brunette

RLuPd-mrpvyH3UIO1dUYNWJV5EJF4TtrnQ4ZM_ojDeo4RlHPlzEUrqmlQ16LuTG8oVxYqtjnK-raQJEU--SzXkzLChwxVoBG6f3JEQqhSwQnU78HulmDJc7KXNQqINMK4fiB04aOzreYlpB4mswPcXaMDDXAEGno3Ry-ellc024nLjyk7y4ad-4BVO061lzkXZd1WhSuUyHadi1jJivRCpmEzaVQG

I mostly work with cottons and linens and did not not enjoy any part of dealing with this shifty, slippery fabric. I found it so difficult I was sure everything about this dress was going to be a disaster. I went on and on complaining about it, so much so that when I donned it to show my husband he said, “What’s so awful about it?” And I was like… well, nothing. It’s great. It feels great. It fits great. I can’t even explain how this can be. It’s objectively more flattering than my usual sack-dress shapeless makes. Drape must make up for all manner of ills.

KfJoqxxNA7u9wIpuiIHH2k44dOi_d95E_H1TCkcp_ad-eT-6UUsOC09YgktWb_FCHK8xS0Z5KF7H953fCWu0lD7ouVb1aBtggDbD3WXRR_Bdyol2o3R0X2DzhJi6ewqxfeKZn9SsyRGD6OC_5oy-gMUTFPV6UiXweYTOIr-egXs6Q-JkcYBwm9hKMPRoIq59PQbt6rhEbqGXz0YRC37nMkMVvGQv9.jpg

Other random notes: I added a bit to the bodice length. by cutting it at the waistline for the next larger size; the way the elastic casing is made is neat-o; this fabric feels dreamy against the skin; I didn’t bother with button holes, the neck hole is big enough that I was able to sew the plackets together when sewing the buttons on. I wore it out on the town  not quite finished and I still haven’t serged the seam allowances on the armhole because I have to change the thread out. Lazy me!

One thought on “The dress that it is

  1. This looks a dreamy dress! I’m sure it was a challenge in some ways, but the end results were so worth it! Nice to see you kick it up a notch! I love all your dress makes, but this one is…well… dreamy! ❤

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s